Shipping Advice?

Impromptu Trips, News, don't post For Sale items in this forum

Shipping Advice?

Postby EGOOT » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Hey, all,

I am writing because I want a second Trigger. My first trigger is in Pasadena, and I want one in Los Alamos, too.
There is a trigger for sale in Harper's Ferry, WV, and I'm trying to figure out how to get it to New Mexico.

A few options that I know exist:
1. I am driving from St. Clairsville to Hunter, NY on August 8, and I can scoop south and grab it. However, then I have a kayak in a tiny rental car, and I have to offload it by early the next morning. There is no way for me to fly with it. Perhaps I give it to a shipping company that flies it to ABQ or something. Do any of you have advice about shipping? Does anyone have this experience?

2. I will be in Nashville, TN for the Eclipse. I will NOT have the ability to transport a kayak, but if it could magically show up at the Nashville airport on Tuesday morning, I could check it with my Southwest Baggage for $75. The thing is, Nashville is a 10 hour drive from Harper's Ferry, so I can't really ask the seller to meet me there. Do you know of anyone who wants to go from WV to Nashville for the eclipse who might do me a favor and haul my boat in exchange for money? Where might I find such a person? Yeah, I know -- it's a long shot. :/

3. I suppose I could bring my FIRST kayak with me to Tenessee, and check it both ways to get it to New Mexico. The issue, then, is that I can't leave the airport with it and one must check their luggage a maximum of 4 (or 24) hours before flight (I got conflicting answers, but it's all out of bounds anyways).

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

The other great reason for having two triggers is that, eventually, one will wait for me in Ohio and the other will be with me in the Southwest. Then, I can paddle with you guys again too!
Is this how boat collecting starts? I like Triggers. :)

Yours,
Marie
EGOOT
Chatty

Re: Shipping Advice?

Postby keelhauler » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:26 pm

Why take it back to CA when you want it in OH?

I'm sure someone can get from Harper's Ferry to my cabin where it can stay until you need it. I can get it to OH.

Paddlers from SC, GA and AL. will be at my cabin before they head back home on 7/21-7/25. So it could get down South, if that really is necessary.
It would be easy to get it to Cincinnati which is not that far from Nashville.

Those are some possible options.
John Kobak
Keel-Hauler Webmaster
keelhauler
Site Admin

Postby Karl M. Nelson » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:51 pm

Kaz uses Old Dominion freight to ship Millbrook composite boats.
Karl M. Nelson
Heavy User

Postby EGOOT » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:22 am

keelhauler wrote:Why take it back to CA when you want it in OH?

I'm sure someone can get from Harper's Ferry to my cabin where it can stay until you need it. I can get it to OH.

Paddlers from SC, GA and AL. will be at my cabin before they head back home on 7/21-7/25. So it could get down South, if that really is necessary.
It would be easy to get it to Cincinnati which is not that far from Nashville.

Those are some possible options.

Ohhh, my family is driving to the eclipse, and Cincinnati is on the way. Is it really that easy to get it to Cinci? Who would I ask and where would my family go to grab it?
Thanks so much for your help!

Feel free to call n discuss. My number is two one six, nine 5 six, two 314.
EGOOT
Chatty

Postby keelhauler » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:59 am

Lots of people in Harper's Ferry paddle the Yough. Ask them if they can get your boat up to Friendsville or Ohiopyle area. Two of the paddlers that have cabins in Beaver Creek live in Cincinatti and could get it from Beaver Creek to Cincinnati.
John Kobak
Keel-Hauler Webmaster
keelhauler
Site Admin

Postby BigWaveBailey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:31 am

I can get the boat from Harpers Ferry to the Ohiopyle area if that helps

-April Hollis
BigWaveBailey
Heavy User

Return to Message Board