Slippery Rock maybe 6/17 or 18?

Impromptu Trips, News, don't post For Sale items in this forum

Slippery Rock maybe 6/17 or 18?

Postby ohioboater » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Dropping my daughter off in western NY at her summer camp job this weekend, so figured this might be a chance for my son and I to finally get on Slippery Rock, assuming water levels cooperate. If anyone's planning on paddling there, it'd be nice to connect for shuttle and beta on any hazards that won't be obvious when scouting.

Likely won't be there until afternoon on Saturday. Planning to camp at Breakneck that night.
ohioboater
New Poster

Re: Slippery Rock maybe 6/17 or 18?

Postby lifeisgood » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:14 pm

I ran it about 2 weeks ago and it was all clear , the log at the covered bridge has moved downstream and is currently out of play. I might be interested in a sunday run. I gotta go to Indiana so Saturday is out for sure. What time were you thinking on sunday? Meeting at rose point by the campground?
Chuck M.
There comes a point in your life when you realize. Who matters.Who never did.Who won't anymore.And who always will.So,don't worry about people from your past.There's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.
lifeisgood
Heavy User

Postby ohioboater » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:01 am

Thanks for the log info. Haven't really thought about an exact time for Sunday yet. Likely some time in the morning, since we've got a 3 hour drive to get home afterwards. I do have a friend who said he might want to only do the lower - that might make logistics interesting. Maybe drop my van at the bottom and figure out what a reasonable paddling time would be from Rose Point down to Eckert. Though I get the impression the lower needs more water to be worth doing?
ohioboater
New Poster

Postby lifeisgood » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:39 am

Lets plan to meet at 11 on sunday at rose point. The level will be low unless we get some rain on Friday. The lower section must be at least zero (lowest I have ever done it) with the conversion, the upper can be run as low as negative .8 feet. The USGS level minus 1.7 feet will get you close to the mill gauge at that level. Figure about 1.5 to 2 hours to get to Eckert bridge depending on swims and play times. I have run this a lot with new paddlers so you will be in good company. Tom Kaylor might join us also. My trip time is 2 hours one way FYI.
Once you hit the slip you will be hooked,
Chuck M.
There comes a point in your life when you realize. Who matters.Who never did.Who won't anymore.And who always will.So,don't worry about people from your past.There's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.
lifeisgood
Heavy User

Postby ohioboater » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:47 am

11 am on Sunday at Rose Point sounds good.

Just to make sure I go to the right place - turn in at the Harley shop and go to the old iron bridge, correct?
ohioboater
New Poster

Postby lifeisgood » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:02 pm

Yep thats it, see you there.
chuck
lifeisgood
Heavy User

Return to Message Board