Kayak Roll Instruction

Impromptu Trips, News, don't post For Sale items in this forum

Kayak Roll Instruction

Postby zzrufus1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi, I am a new member and I need to learn how to roll. I have attended a few group sessions with limited success. I would like to hire someone to teach me to roll. I have watched some videos and seen some progressions, but still cannot get it. I am kayaking the Grand Canyon in August and I have to be able to roll by then. I have access to a pool pretty much anytime in Warren, Oh. Please e-mail me if you are willing to help out. I will pay you for your time. My e-mail is zzrufus1@gmail.com. Thanks!
zzrufus1
New Poster

Re: Kayak Roll Instruction

Postby keelhauler » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:52 pm

Go to the TRPC clinic on Slippery Rock in a month. KHCC members are considered TRPC members. Someone at the clinic can point out what you are doing wrong.
What kind of kayak do you have, makes a big difference. I could not roll a Burn even in a pool.

Go to the Grand Canyon with a Pirouette. Very comfortable and easy to roll in the canyon.
Borrow one.
John Kobak
Keel-Hauler Webmaster
keelhauler
Site Admin

Postby zzrufus1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:17 pm

I plan on attending some of the pool sessions TRPC is hosting next month, along with trying to free my schedule to attend the slip clinic. (I joined TRPC last year, before I joined KH and found out I get both being in the KH club!).

I have a liquid logic XP 10. I realize it isn't the best boat for rolling, but I feel I should still be able to roll it. :???:

I really like the XP 10 also... very comfortable and I feel in control of it, besides the roll! I bought it for the crossover aspect to it as I paddle some flat water and overnight trips as well.

Thanks for the info and advice... I will look into the possibility of getting a pirouette...
zzrufus1
New Poster

Postby envirobilly » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:03 pm

You should be able to roll any modern boat that fits you. If you are fitted to the boat and cannot roll it that means there is a problem with your roll not the boat. Should be no reason to not be able to roll that boat once you know how. I just taught a 13 year old kid to roll in 1-2 hour roll session. At the second session he was rolling great and even hit 2 hand rolls by the end. You will get it. I would suggest getting EJ's Rolling and Bracing Video. Find someone who can teach you using his technique (at the end is a section for teaching the roll). I believe KHs has it in their video collection.
envirobilly
Chatty

Postby lifeisgood » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:25 pm

Have you paddled any rivers yet?
There comes a point in your life when you realize. Who matters.Who never did.Who won't anymore.And who always will.So,don't worry about people from your past.There's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.
lifeisgood
Heavy User

Postby chewie123 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:12 am

I just taught someone to roll to a xp10 this winter. It's fairly smooth to roll. The one dislike I have to it is the foot pegs seem unstable and easily to break. If you're gping to the Grand canyon I may suggest to the add on bulkead. It's around a $100 from Liquid Logic, but it's a more rigid. Going on a multiple day trip with a broken foot peg may not be fun.
Josiah Colvin
(330)671-0910
chewie123
Chatty

Postby zzrufus1 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:19 am

lifeisgood wrote:Have you paddled any rivers yet?

Yes, I have paddled a lot of rivers. I feel confident in class 3 rapids, but if I flip, I have to bail out. I did the loop of the lower Yough and swam once. I don't want to be in that situation on the Colorado, hence the urgency to get my roll ASAP!!
zzrufus1
New Poster

Postby zzrufus1 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:21 am

chewie123 wrote:I just taught someone to roll to a xp10 this winter. It's fairly smooth to roll. The one dislike I have to it is the foot pegs seem unstable and easily to break. If you're gping to the Grand canyon I may suggest to the add on bulkead. It's around a $100 from Liquid Logic, but it's a more rigid. Going on a multiple day trip with a broken foot peg may not be fun.

Would you be interested in teaching me? I can get pool time in Warren, Oh anytime we need it. I agree with the footpegs... Thanks for the bulkhead suggestion. I will look into this.
zzrufus1
New Poster

Postby zzrufus1 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:23 am

envirobilly wrote:You should be able to roll any modern boat that fits you. If you are fitted to the boat and cannot roll it that means there is a problem with your roll not the boat. Should be no reason to not be able to roll that boat once you know how. I just taught a 13 year old kid to roll in 1-2 hour roll session. At the second session he was rolling great and even hit 2 hand rolls by the end. You will get it. I would suggest getting EJ's Rolling and Bracing Video. Find someone who can teach you using his technique (at the end is a section for teaching the roll). I believe KHs has it in their video collection.

I've been watching video's, including EJ's. I just need the assistance of someone that knows how to roll to help me through the progressions and see where I'm missing.
zzrufus1
New Poster

Postby Banacka » Thu May 04, 2017 11:01 pm

If you wouldn't mind coming to Cuyahoga Falls, I'll teach you how to roll. I have a large in-ground perfect for instruction. Just need a dry top right now.
John Banach
KHCC President
John Banach
Banacka
Heavy User

Postby zzrufus1 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:24 pm

Banacka wrote:If you wouldn't mind coming to Cuyahoga Falls, I'll teach you how to roll. I have a large in-ground perfect for instruction. Just need a dry top right now.
John Banach
KHCC President

I wouldn't mind that at all! I will have to see when my schedule will allow for that. It will not be for a few weeks as I am swamped right now. My first open Saturday looks like May 27th. Does that work for you? If it is easier, you can e-mail me direct at zzrufus1@gmail.com. Thank You!!
zzrufus1
New Poster

Postby chewie123 » Sat May 06, 2017 3:00 pm

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. Warren a bit of a drive for me. John is a great teacher though.
Josiah Colvin
(330)671-0910
chewie123
Chatty

Postby Banacka » Mon May 15, 2017 9:25 am

Saturdays work for me. 27th should also work. Pool is nice and warm.
John Banach
Banacka
Heavy User

Postby lifeisgood » Mon May 15, 2017 3:37 pm

Don't ask why its warm, and yes, its always that shade of yellow......... :shock:
It was great to paddle with you again John,
Chuck M.
There comes a point in your life when you realize. Who matters.Who never did.Who won't anymore.And who always will.So,don't worry about people from your past.There's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.
lifeisgood
Heavy User

Postby zzrufus1 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:05 pm

Banacka wrote:Saturdays work for me. 27th should also work. Pool is nice and warm.

Sounds good. Please let me know what time and an address and I will be there. Thank you John!
zzrufus1
New Poster

Return to Message Board