April and May 2017 Cheat and Potomac tributaries trips

Impromptu Trips, News, don't post For Sale items in this forum

April and May 2017 Cheat and Potomac tributaries trips

Postby Steve Ingalls » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:05 pm

This post is meant to clarify the April and May Cheat and Potomac tributaries trip offering mentioned in the 2017 KHCC trip schedule, visible here:

http://www.keelhauler.org/khcc/tripschedule.htm#4

I am interested to paddle on rivers of class 2 - 3+ difficulty in the upper parts of the Cheat watershed, and possibly in the South Branch of the Potomac watershed. These are free flowing rivers with smaller watersheds than, for example, the Yough above Ohiopyle, or the Cheat above Albright. During years of usual rainfall, they run on some weekends during April and May, with the weekend of April 22 excepted. They may run occasionally during summer months. It may not be apparent until late in a week before a boating weekend that these rivers will run at recreational flow rates on the following Saturday and Sunday. The Cheat Narrows, Upper Big Sandy, Casselman, Stoneycreek, and Blacklick Creek rivers are alternate destinations in case of unsuitable water flow rates farther south.

The usual trip plan concept involves travel into northeastern WV on Friday evening, and travel to the trip destination early on Saturday morning. There are adequate campgrounds in the vicinity of the Dry Fork, and in the South Branch watershed. We stage trips and paddle early on Sunday, and return home at reasonable arrival time.

Please contact me directly by email if you are interested to do this during April and May. I will send a general interest solicitation if predicted weather and water flow conditions are favorable, and reply later during the week to interested people with a trip plan. My last opportunity to read and reply to email during a usual week passes at about 13:00 on Friday afternoon.

Steve Ingalls

s t i (at) c w r u (dot) e d u
Steve Ingalls
Heavy User

Re: April and May 2017 Cheat and Potomac tributaries trips

Postby Steve Ingalls » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:50 pm

I think that the Dry Fork will run at flow greater than 700 cfs on Saturday, 04/29/2017. The likely trip destination for Sunday, 04/30/2017 is the Cheat Narrows. If this interests you, then please contact me directly. My last opportunity to reply to email will pass at about 13:30 on Friday, 04/28/2017.

Steve Ingalls
Heavy User

Postby Steve Ingalls » Thu May 11, 2017 4:11 pm

I am interested to paddle during this weekend 05/13 - 14 somewhere along the geographic arc extending from Stonycreek through the Casselman, Upper Big Sandy, Dry Fork, and possibly into the South Branch of the Potomac watersheds. The quantitative precipitation forecast has changed toward less rain than was predicted yesterday for those watersheds. So, it seems likely that we will see recreational flow in some of those rivers on Saturday and Sunday. Some of these options are of class 3+ difficulty. If you want to do this, then please contact me directly. My last opportunity to reply to email on Friday 05/12 will pass at 13:30.

Steve Ingalls
Heavy User

Postby Steve Ingalls » Wed May 17, 2017 3:12 pm

There isn't as much from which to choose this weekend as there was last weekend. I'm planning to paddle on the Cheat Narrows. If this interests you, then please contact me directly. My last opportunity to reply to email will pass at 13:30 on Friday 05/19.

Steve Ingalls
Heavy User

Postby Steve Ingalls » Thu May 25, 2017 5:35 pm

Some rain has accumulated in the gauges in the higher parts of the Cheat Watershed.

If enough rain falls where it matters, and the Dry Fork runs on Saturday, then Cliff Wire wants to move the KHCC NBP Bloomington trip to the DF, which he regards as a more interesting river. I would like to go to the DF if that runs on Saturday. If it does, then we will go to Teters' on Friday night and stage the DF trip from there on Saturday morning. The Casselman is about the same distance from Teters' as the DF, if that runs and the DF doesn't. The Hopeville Canyon section of the North Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac will run on Saturday, and that is within operational range for a Saturday morning departure from Teters'. It is similar in difficulty to the DF. Cliff may be interested to move his trip there. Canyon trip groups of capable paddlers may form in case of higher flow in the Cheat watershed. Someone else will organize that.

If you are interested to go along with whatever materializes within this outline, then please reply by email. My last opportunity to reply to email will pass at 13:00 on Friday, May 26. Please send a phone number with your reply, and indicate whether you are able to receive text messages at that phone number. That may help with trip plan coordination on Saturday through Monday.

Steve Ingalls
Heavy User

Postby keelhauler » Sat May 27, 2017 9:49 am

Saturday Dry Fork trip is on, expect about 1300 CFS, a good level.
John Kobak
Keel-Hauler Webmaster
keelhauler
Site Admin

Return to Message Board